If we want more people to tell their abortion stories publicly, we need to make the public space a supportive environment for sharing personal experiences with abortion. People’s stories are people’s interpretations and experiences of their own culture. Diversity exists both between and within cultures, and one person’s abortion story is not emblematic of all abortion stories.
When engaging in the comments section of a piece:
- Acknowledge the stigma of abortion.
- Show your appreciation for the personal risks the author is taking.
- If you identify with the story, speak up! But remember to use “I” statements.
- Repost the story among supportive networks and encourage others to comment or show support.
- Show you are listening by repeating her words in your comment.
- Validate the uniqueness and complexity of her experience.
Below are resources from Exhale about supporting those who share their abortion experiences: